ZIP is inspired by Amsterdam & its bike culture. ZIP provides comfort and fun and can transform an empty space into an attractive spot!
ZitPaaltje, or ZIP when abbreviate, is a temporary street installation inspired by the city of Amsterdam and its bike’s culture. We transformed the so-called Amsterdammertjes, the famous and ubiquitous posts in the streets of Amsterdam, into a rather comfortable “city” stool. The seats are made from classic Dutch bike saddles, constructed on the bollards with a solid piece of metal, that can be easily placed and removed. At the bottom a footrest is also inserted to the bollard, to make the stool more comfortable. The project is meant to activate the street as a place to enjoy. This special seats are temporally located on key spots in Amsterdam to provide great view over the Dutch capital.
- Zip is about Amsterdam. By combining two of the symbols of Amsterdam, bikes and red bollards, it creates a new icon of Amsterdam’s design.
- Zip is Fun. It’s fun to ride it and it’s “Leuk” to take a picture on it!
- Zip is about Re-Use. Re-thinking the built environment, re-cycling, up-cycling, are in the DNA of the project.
- Zip is about re-discovering public space. By providing comfort and fun, ZIP can transform an empty space into an attractive spot.
- ZIP is for people and not for cars. It invites people to consider the importance of the street as a social space and not only as a traffic domain.
- Zip is temporary and nomad, hurry up !